Saturday, 11 July 2009

Black Forest Flute Clock

.
I was going to do another in the series on arranging....but have not found time this weekend, however, I have found another bit on Flute Clocks for Derek.
.

Please don't think this is my clock, it is not. The following is taken from the description on YouTube.

"It is by an unknown maker (possibly Mukle of Neukirch) playing eight unknown tunes.
The thirty-nine pipes were missing when found in 1985, so all of them had to be reconstructed (using the holes in the windchest and the note names on the keyframe as a clue)"

.

5 comments:

reservoir said...

Hi Kipers,
Thats a nice organ clock,makes mine look a bit on the puny side,at least he had the names of the notes and also pins on the barrel, but it would have been hard to sort out just where the pipes are situated on the wind chest!!

Bernard said...

Thought you might like it. As you say it must have been quite a job to tackle. Dennis is sending you a DVD that he took at Prestwood. He got me to do the cranking for him...what I looked like heaven only knows! I expect it was straw hat and dark glasses?

Roseanne said...

I've been looking at your hints on how to make the music, and it looks like it will take me longer than expected. Its hard to be patient when you really want to hear the tune on the organ!

I found the tunes I wanted on midi files. I guess this doesn't really help as they still need to be simplified.

http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-22134/nmm/mario1.mid

http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-22134/nmm/tetrisb.mid

Such good tunes though. They are from very old computer games. It would be great to make silplified midi tunes that I could get someone to cut out for me. I think that will save me allot of time.

Bernard said...

You are right, building a punch, cutting rolls...it's all a lot of extra work. I work both from sheet music and MIDI files and I can assure you the latter is the easiest. I also had a look for midi's but you seem to have been successful. I will have a look at them. I use Cakewalk to view these files but there are quite a few other s/w packages as well (free). You need to make sure the software offers a 'piano-roll' view.
I will post a bit up MIDI.
If you can edit these down to the 20 note scale, Melvyn Wright will punch them out for you. (see his web site)
Cheers.....Bernard

Roseanne said...

Amazing. I better edit them down then. =)