Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Scratching Around for a Subject

.
I once knew someone who really ‘got the ‘ump‘ if ever you said 
“Long time - no see“.
I don‘t know why it upset her; but it did.
However, it is true that not many of you have seen Unc B around for quite a while. 
Not a bad thing necessarily, as ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’, as my Granny used to say  if us lads hadn’t been round to see her for a while.  
But my being away is a long tale and it is best kept short I think, but basically, I have been plagued with computer problems. 
Not little problems, not Mega problems, but Giga problems.
.

.
As I have a huge backlog of jokes - let’s have a laugh to start things going again.

A waiter, whilst waiting for a lady to order, started scratching his bottom.
“Excuse me asking,” said the lady diner, “but have you got haemorrhoid's?”
“No, madam, I’m sorry” replied the waiter.
“Only what’s on the menu.”

Actually, I’ve been itching quite a bit lately.
Not a medical sort of itch and definitely not a seven year itch!
I’ve been ‘itching’ to get back on-line and write a blog or two. 
I actually have four blogs hidden away somewhere (over on the right side) 
that all need updating badly. 
(Woops! I mean - badly need updating - although, on second thoughts!)

This last week my machine has almost been back to normal - 
- well, the way it was just before Christmas 2012.
Since then, I have had TWO new hard drives fitted in two months - 
- not at the same time of course - but one after the other.
The second one failed after two weeks of me struggling to ’recovery’ data and ‘re-install‘  software after the first crash.
.

 .
The chap a the ‘help desk’ did his best to help me, but in the end,
I resorted to doing it myself yet again. 
So, I am now an expert at setting up computers from their ’factory condition’,
which is the way they return them to you, after repair. 
Mine was returned as it was in November 2007.
I was without a computer for two weeks the first time the hard-drive failed - so when it went ‘belly-up’ the second time, instead of taking to drink and large quantities of  ’comfort food’ (faggots & white pudding) , I consoled myself, by going up to John Lewis’s and buying a brand new snazzy lap-top. 
This also took time as the one I wanted was out of stock. Another weeks wait.

So I now I had a third go at setting up a PC and loading all my programs and data. 
This time it was not quite so simple, as the new beastie came with Windows 8 (?). 
The previous five years of typing, blogging and file saving, had all been done under Vista. (yuk).  
It is only at times like this when you realise just how many different file types there are! 
( .txt, .doc, .wks, wpt, .wps, .xlr, etc….etc) - and how incompatible they can be.
However, I managed eventually and got it up and running. 
Wesley liked it too and had a go at computer dating.
.

 .
He also decided that the laptop case was a great new place to curl up on. 
He actually knocked it down off those steps - luckily there was no laptop inside.
.

.
So, now having got all my piccies, text and joke books resurrected I’ve been ’scratching’ around for something to blog about - excluding the weather!  

And as we were on the subject of  itching,
just look what the Brussels sprouts (eu) have dreamt up now.
This is unbelievable!

My friend Barbara bought me a smashing jumper-cum-shirt for Christmas.
Now I just love these woollies with their little bit of shirt collar sewn into the V neck.
 Why?
No ironing of shirts of course!
I though it was really great, so off I went to Marks to buy another one in a different colour.
.

.
Marks Shop Assistant: "Can I be of any help madam?"
Lady Customer: "Yes, thank you. I’d like to try on that white blouse in the window."
Marks Shop assistant: "I’m very sorry madam, but you will have to try it on in the fitting room like everyone else."
.

.
I was really pleased with these two jumpers but, there was however, 
one small drawback – they were itchy.
Very itchy, down on one side, at the waist.


.
.
Just look at this lot. 
.
.
It’s a new Brussels sprout Directive that says - washing instructions have to be in 27 different languages! Not sure about the 27. I didn’t count them, but they were a ‘right pain’ in the…..side.
I bet Cameroon never has this problem? 
.

.
No. Thought not.

Of course I also cut all mine off, but now - I am left without the English instructions, and I’m still left with that little tickley stub. Looks as if it will have to be carefully unpicked.
Don’t you just love all this ‘regulation’?

UPDATE -
Digging into this, the Directive states that the Washing Instructions,
must be in the language of the country in which the item is sold,
Expecting manufacturers, usually in China these days,
to know where items are going to be sold is really daft.
So to get round it they just sew in all 27.


Now here’s a washing label to get few people upset?
.

.
I had better not take sides in this debate.

And…..whilst on the subject of washing and ironing - 
a few verses from my Book of Ditties.

Yon canny Highland crofters keep 
A flock of crease-resistant sheep. 
They weave wee woollen shirts and slacks
And flog 'em to the Sassenachs. 
Wool keeps its shape, it's bound to please,
(Ye nae seen sheep wi' baggy knees) 

Woollen shirts and slacks eh?
I bet they’re itchy.
But not as itchy as this next ‘Winter Warmer’.


.
.
King Arthur's knights sat sullen-eyed 
'What ails you all?' the monarch cried. 
Quoth one: "Tis this round table sire, 
"The lads out here can't feel the fire.' 
Quoth Guinevere: 'Poor faithful knights, 
I'll knit you all a pair of tights.' 


Looks as if a certain young Prince, 
may also be having trouble with itchy labels?


.
.


There was a young Prince from Montrose
Who had pockets in none of his clothes.
When asked by his lass
Where he carried his brass
He said "Darling, I pay through the nose!"

- + - 

Hope you are all keeping warm and well.

I’m just off to join Wes for a Good Scratch.


It’s quite divine to ‘Wine and Dine’,
..….and laugh ‘til you’re in stitches ;

But there’s no pleasure so rare,
….that can compare,
…….with scratching where it itches!




.







20 comments:

Sylve said...

How nice to see you back, Bernard, and in your usual good form! Those labels!! Let's get out of the damned EU asap and do things the way we like them done. It's a bit like having a manual in umpteen languages and finding that 3 pages are in English...
Your computer troubles are incredible, let's hope that now everything is sorted! But,cross your fingers!

Molly said...

Bernard I love this blog. I've missed you too. What a pain to have all that trouble with your computer - they're very temperamental. I bought O/H a laptop for his 70th birthday. That's got Windows 8 which takes a bit of finding your way round, but he's getting used to it now. He had a go at fixing his desktop and ended up b***ering the CPU on it so I decided enough was enough. Not surprising you were itching with all those labels - it's all gone plain daft. Had to laugh at your jokes. O/H asked me what I was chortling about, he worries about me sometimes. Anyway keep them coming :) BFN Molly

Helsie said...

Nice to hear from you again Bernard. We're lost without our computers aren't we?

Bernard said...

Sylvie, Molly, Helen - Thanks for dropping by and commenting. It's nice to know friends enjoy my attempts at trying to raise a smile during 'economic downturns' and all that.
I've had a few ideas for blogs during my 'computer downturn'. The question is where did I put all those photos that I had in mind?
Cheers.....B

CherryPie said...

Welcome back :-)

No I will know where to come if I need a computer expert.

That is a rather excessive amount of labels, what a waste of time and resources.

Bernard said...

Hello CherryPie.
It's nice to be back after all that hassle. I'm not an expert at 'Repair' - I'm just an expert at 'Restore' and 'Reload'. :)
I have since read that they are considering a 'sticky label' for the 27 languages, so that it can be peeled off easily. Still a waste at the waist. :)

Francien said...

Great to "hear"from you again Uncle Bernard......i know the feeling of pc trouble to....but not as badly as yours but my blog was gone...GONE...could not find it again even with the Blogger help....so i had to do it again....its allright now....
and you have bought some nice sweaters and i know that you have to leave themn in the freeze b(-18 degrees is fine) for at least 24 hours and the itchy will be gone...i dont know why but i got this from a knitting forum:
gewoon een paar dagen in de diepvries ( op -18) werkt prima, geen idee hoe het komt maar daarna kriebelt een wollen trui niet meer.

Hope it helps....worth to try....hugs for Wesley en hou je taai...groetjes Francien.

Julie said...

Yes, Bernard, it's nice to have you back. I too have been missing but for different reasons.

Windows 8 ey? How's that going. I love Vista more than Windows 7 (I'm most peculiar, I know).

Labels in clothes ... grrr. I hate them, I cut or unpick them from everything because they drive me mad. I do try to tolerate the size labels in my smaller clothes out of vanity but alas I always give up in the end :)

Bernard said...

Hello Francien,
It wasn't the wool that was making me itch, it was that bunch of labels that had been sewn in at the waist.
Marks & Spencers 'wooly pullies' are nice and soft - but thanks for the tip. :)
I was always a bit worried about loosing all my blogs - so I now back them all up every month. I'll try to send you an email on how I do it.
Cheers....B

Hi Julie,
I have always got on OK with Vista, but nearly everyone I have spoken to, prefers Win 7. When you buy a machine I guess you have to take what comes with it, although I think you can always upgrade.
Sounds like too much hassle to me.
Windows 8 is OK if you ignore all the Windows 8 features. I have just configured mine with the 'old fashioned Desktop' and added icons as you do in Vista & Win 7.
I haven't messed around with these things called 'Apps'. Can't understand what they do? :)
Cheers.... B

annettesblog said...

Oh I know all about these damn things, brilliant when they work but when they go wrong..........!!!!!
A few swear words are uttered, got to admit that.
Lovely to have you back anyway.
PS dickiebo has a picture of you on his blog, did you know?

Bernard said...

Annette - Lovely to hear from you. x
Yes I saw that Dickie had put that up that picture there - (Not really me by the way).
You see I sent him that naughty non PC bit of .....
Ann I have tried to email you several times but they all come back saying 'address unknown'. I must be out of date? I am using -
http://annie-hulett@hotmail.co.uk
Is this out of date?
Cheers....B xx

Kath said...

Good old Wesley, nice to see him again.

Labels are my nemesis, I cut them out of everything I own, as I find their sharp edges extremely uncomfortable.

Ah, computers...
If I did not have my own in-house IT guru, I would have given up on this new-fangled internet lark years ago.

Foody said...

I haven't seen these jumper-come-shirts but I haven't been to the big town shops since November 2011 so it figures. Good idea.
Like the cat pictures.
I so agree about M&S labels. They are the worst. I keep meaning to write to them. Have you tried their bras?! It isn't so much the labels it's the scratchy sharp thread they use on the corners . I have had to make little cotton tubes for the back fastening bit to sit in otherwise I am fidgeting all day!

Doohie said...

I'm glad to see that you are back Bernard. I've missed your posts. I hope that there will be more of them.
:o)

Bernard said...

Forgive me if I group my relies to you in the 'same box'.
I have tried to change this method of comments - but it didn't work for for me. :(
Something must have changed?

Hi Kath, Wes looks ok these days but I can tell he is feeling his age. He walks slower and takes a bit longer to get up onto his feet. A bit like me really! :o
Nemesis - now that's an unusual word - I always thought they were garden flowers? :)

Hello Foody - Marks refer to them as 'Mock shirts' and they only stock a few - that is why I went back to get a second one. The lady in the shop tod me I could order them on-line and collect the next day. It's nice to browse the M&S web pages.
On the subject of bras - I know nothing. :)
I did once upon-a-time know how to undo one in the dark! :O ... but those skills have long since gone.

Hi Doohie, hope you are keeping well up there (North of Watford Gap)? :)
I'll do my bet to muster up a few more, if I can find subjects.

marilyn said...

Better late than never so WELCOME BACK!!! I just checked the blog today. Yes, computers can make you think you're crazy but just try to be without one and we realize how we depend on them. I am so glad to read all the funnies but esp. happy to see dear Wesley. I am his biggest fan---give him a chin rub from me.

Ann said...

Lol oh funny funny blog, loved the jokes Bernard. Clever you getting around all the computer jargon, if it was me..........well I would by scratching! ...........my head.
Not nits by the way lol but stumped.

Thank you for popping over to my blog Bernard. Looking forward to reading more of your new one. Oh and I totally agree with all you say re the labels in clothing grrrrrrrr

Bernard said...

Helloooo Marilyn,
I'm glad you found me. :)
I have tried to contact most people to let them know where I was, but didn't know how to find you. I gave Wesley a pat for you and he suggested that I do a blog about cats!
I'll see. :)

Hi Ann,
I had a feeling you might enjoy the ditties, especially the -
"Ye nae seen sheep wi' baggy knees"
I have to admit to laughing at my own blog sometimes when I read it back. Someone once said you shouldn't laugh at your own jokes - but I never understood why?

marilyn said...

Uncle B you may reach me at daniel423@centurytel.net, if you should ever so desire. You were missed and I would relish a blog about CATS!!!

ME said...

So very nice to have you back. You have been missed.