Friday, 30 January 2009

No more Drunken Sailors then ?

Another broadside from the "Good Ship" PC. Heaven help us where will it end.  First sung in the days when Britannia ruled the waves, it became a schools favourite, handed down through the decades.  Nanny thinks any reference to alcohol and drunkeness should be banned. This is hardly going to prepare children for the real world.
Nick Seaton, of pressure group the Campaign for Real Education, said: "Changing the words of a much-loved children's nursery rhyme is simply trying to re-write the history and tradition of this country."
The song was sung by sailors on the Royal Navy's ships of the line in the 19th century. It was often sung when raising a sail or lifting the anchor - hence 'Up She Rises' in the song's chorus - or when sailing into battle. 
When I was at school we used to sing songs that would make the PC brigades hair curl.
Do you remember "Johnny come down to Hilo" ?
The first verse went:-
"I nebber see de like since I bin born,
When a big buck neegger wid de sea boots on, Says"
"Johnny come down to Hilo.
Poor old man"
This was known as a "Windlass and capstan" song and I'm sure singing this as a child has not done me any harm.
Children are great levellers and no matter how politically correct the Government and their quangos become, they will still sing the original nursery rhymes because they are funny. 

No comments: