
"The BBC confirmed tonight it had dropped Carol Thatcher as a presenter on The One Show after she referred to a professional tennis player as a "golliwog" in a private conversation."
Not quite true I believe.....I think you will find that she said the tennis player had 'sticking out
hair, like the Gollywog on the Robertson's jars of Jam.
The logic of the BBC's argument is that the very mention of the word 'golliwog' is considered racist.
Utterly preposterous.
A Golliwog is nothing more than a stuffed toy, popularised in 1895 by Bertha Upton in The Adventures of two Dutch Dolls and a 'Golliwogg'. The story is concerned children's toys. and is still in print as a book.
Toy Golliwogs swept the world, and Debussy was inspired to write The Golliwog's Cakewalk, as part of the Suite "Children's Corner"
3 comments:
I have found an interesting site for "Golly-holics" (their words).
Give them a visit.
One day I'll find out how to link. http://www.gollyworld.freeserve.co.uk/index1.htm
Since I get no direct comments, how about this?
"Is the word ‘gollywog’ itself illegal? is it a criminal offence to use it? If she said Andy Murrays hair looks like the hair on the Robertsons gollywog, is she right. Does it?
Saying something looks like something else is now grounds for losing a job? Are they completely mental."
Golliwog is an offensive term to some, but not to all. In a polite and well-mannered society we would not publicly use a word where it may cause offence to someone - and that should include on the broadcast media. However, the word "f***" is also offensive to some and the polite and well-mannered society has been broken down by the self same people who now express moral indignation of the use of the word "golliwog" in private conversations while they continue to deliberately offend and swear with out the same consideration they demand from others.
Post a Comment