Friday, 27 February 2009

Goodbye Sexy Knickers


I was saddened today to hear that Miss Brahms (Wendy Richards) had passes away.
She appeared in four of my favourite shows/films...'Are you being Served', 'Dad's Army', the 'Carry On' films and 'Up Pompeii'.
I first heard her, in 1962, on the chart-topping song "Come Outside" sung by Mike Sarne. She was the  girl  who always, (until the last line) answered his invitations to 'come outside' for a 'bit of romancing', in the negative.
 All she wanted to do was 'keep on dancing'
....... "what for"
.... "what's the rush"
....." It's cold outside"
... "I'll slap and tickle you in a minute"
 were her responses to his suggestion. In later years she said it took ages to shake-off the image of the "Come Outside" girl.

In the Carry-On films she played "Miss Willing" in 'Carry On Matron' and in 'Carry On Girls' she played "Ida Down". 

In Dad's Army she played Private Walker's girl-friend, but I shall always remember her best as Shirley Brahms from Grace Bros.

No comments: