But it is the 'junk' that firstly, I find more interesting and secondly more affordable.
I will always 'home in' on a pile of old music. Some places sell this at £1-2 per sheet, but others, in a bit to get rid of it may sell a whole pile for a fiver.
These piles hold hidden secrets, for between the sheets of music, all kinds of things can be found.
I have come across newspaper cuttings and even old family photographs.
This bit above is of the First World War song "Goodbye" sang to the troops as they went off to the trenches. It was here reproduced in the newspaper and someone had saved it in with their music.
The interesting thing here is that the newspaper was the 'News of the World' and the date 1917.
Just imagine that bit of news had been tucked in with that music for around 92 years!
The date was Sunday 23 December 1917......and look at the circulation...2,750,000 copies.
.....and an advert for Lipton's Tea. And how about a 92 year old 'tea stain'?
Oh, and yes, the heap of music was full of wonderful gems.
Murphy was sitting there in the Pub reading the Dublin Times, and he turns to his mate Pat and says
“Isn’t it amazing how just enough things seem to happen every day to exactly fill a newspaper!”
3 comments:
Wow! That is fascinating.
My teachers were suitably stunned by my street organ. It was a good day.
But I wonder if you have some advice on how to make the organ play a little slower? The music just plays a little fast. Any tips?
Excellent. Glad it all came together on the day.
Now I did a post called "a Tale of Two Handles" , I think last week.
You might find this useful...but,
I have no knowledge of the set up inside the 20 note. However I have three friends who have. I will get them to leave a comment either here or on your blog.
Cheers......Bernard
Hi Kippers
roseanne can alter the speed of the music by making the small wheel on the end of the crankshaft (the one that she covered in sand paper) just a little bit smaller, this will bring the music across slower, but she might have to turn the handle a bit faster this is o/k as it means that she will have more air in the reservoir, you will have to experiment roseanne
Post a Comment