Sunday, 17 May 2009

Rests

 
 
Music does not consist only of sounds; it includes silences too.
Notation has to show how long each silence lasts, just as it shows how long each sound lasts.
The signs used for silence are called rests.


 

5 comments:

Amy said...

just about to go and have a nice long semibreve rest with a cuppa or maybe a class of wine!

Sage said...

Wish I was more musical but somehow I never managed to tell the difference between a waver and a note never mind playing.

Sorry about the mix up, the priest joke will be up on Saturday morning :0)

Foody said...

Hmmmm Think I'll quote that post when I lead a rehearsal (aaaaargghhh!!!) this week and they all start blasting "With Strephon for your foe no doubt", ignoring the rests. I'll tell 'em.

Bernard said...

So you must be one of the 'Dainty little fairies' ?

Foody said...

I like to think so but this event is just a concert of G&S songs, not the whole operetta.