Saturday, 9 May 2009

What's in a Name


Following on from the post about finding bits in heaps of music, here are two more I found.
The first is a certificate for a music exam taken by Miss Butt in Weston-super-Mare.
 

It reads Francis Elizabeth Butt gained First Class Grade in Pianoforte Playing, and is dated 14 December 1911
The second item that came to light is a photo of an unknown young lady. It was not found with the certificate so is not Miss Butt, but is clearly of the same era.. 


A lot of the old music that I find, nearly always has the previous owners name on it. I get the impression that perhaps in those days people used to lend sheet music to each other, and this was to make sure that it was returned.
Many had their addresses on the music as well and it is nice to see if these old places still exist.
The one I am researching at the moment is 'Olive Backhouse' from Dunston Hall, Norwich.


As you can see this was written when she was a child, but later sheets in her pile of music show an adult signature and eventually, she marries and becomes 'Olive Buxton'.
Dunston Hall is now a hotel and I have found many references to the name Buxton in the Norwich area.

Fascinating stuff.


2 comments:

Daphne said...

Fascinating indeed - I love old photos and old documents of every kind. In fact everything on your blog interests me. Hurrah! Thank you!

Bernard said...

Well I never...Thank you.
I am a very 'mixed-bag' sort of chap. I don't like to get heavily involved in any one thing.
I believe the word is 'eclectic'.
"borrowing freely from various sources; not exclusive in opinion, taste etc".
Cheers.....Bernard