Tuesday, 5 May 2009

"Snowball"

 

I have just watched an amazing clip on YouTube of a dancing cockatoo.
I know there are many thousands of pets doing a 'turn' on YT but this one is really fantastic. He dances exactly in time with the music.
Snowball, the dancing cockatoo was yesterday hailed by scientists as proof that humans aren't the only creatures with a sense of rhythm.
His dancing antics have made him an internet star as the video clip has been viewed nearly two and a half million times.
A scientist, Dr Schachner said "For a long time, people have thought that the ability to move to a beat was unique to humans". 
"After all, there is no convincing evidence that our closest relatives, chimpanzees and other apes, can keep a beat, and there is similarly no evidence that our pet dogs and cats can line up their actions with a musical beat."

I'm sure he will have to change his mind after viewing this.

It has been known for centuries that horses are partial to military music. They have a natural sense of rhythm. In fact, I am informed that they have at least two named rhythms: the trot and gallop. Other animals can run, walk or trot, but don't seem to care about the music.
Perhaps it is the need to coordinate rhythmic motion with other animals moving at difference paces in close formation that makes birds, humans and horses more musically inclined.

I have not linked to our friend Snowball as he dances for about four minutes, but you should be able to watch him here 

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IZmRnAo6s
 

No comments: