Thursday, 12 March 2009

"I'm Walking backwards to Christmas"

Just before Christmas I was turning my friend’s organ, whilst he went for lunch, when a small boy came up and said:-
    “What happens if you turn it the other way?”
Well, at least he had an inquiring mind…Full marks for that.
But before I could answer his father said:-
    “Well I expect it plays the music backwards!”
Sorry, not true….the crank will still turn and operate the bellows, so plenty of air, but the spool ‘pulling’ the paper across the tracker-bar, will now be going in the opposite direction and the paper on it will just pile up in the pressure box.
I cannot imagine anyone wanting to play the music backwards except out of curiosity but the only way to do it would be to wind it onto an empty spool backwards and with the paper the ‘wrong’ side up.

No comments: