Wind of Change by Scorpions beautifully played on a Raffin 20/67.
I have chosen this clip as it gives a good view of the paper roll crossing the tracker-bar. This also shows what can be arranged with just 20 notes to choose from.
A quiet backwater at Cookham.
2 comments:
That is a truly great sound! I'm currently following the John Smith 20 note buska organ plans to make my own street organ for my final project at university.
Do you have any tips for making the pipes sound that good? Should I seal the insdies of the pipes with something?
Any way thanks for following my blog I'm sure to use it allot more over the next month.
Hi Roseanne, welcome to Tracker-bar. I found your blog after a search for "street organ". I have left one two little comments on your early posts.
Tips.
Make the bellows and wind-chest first. Take you time and make sure there are no leaks. Test.
Decide on the air pressure.
High pressure is OK for playing outside but can sound a bit shrill. I prefer a lower pressure, say four inches (WG).
I found this gives the pipes a more mellow sound. Pipes must be airtight. NO little gaps anywhere.
You can seal the inside with almost anything. It's not important. John Smith uses emulsion paint! I use wood glue, Epoxy type..Resin W..thinned down with water and brushed on. On YouTube I found a chap making pipes (from start to finish) I will see if I can find it for you. He used a varnish from a spray-can.
The voicing of the pipes is done by moving the upper lip. So don't stick these on, use rubber-bands until you get the sound right using the ORGAN pressure (not by using your MOUTH).Must go now.
Cheers Bernard
PS If in doubt, don't be frightened to ask. In 2000 there were not many people building these and I was not on the web then. I made mistakes and had to scrap thing and start again.
Post a Comment