Tuesday, 24 March 2009

"Spring Songs"


Spring officially started on March 21, the date of the vernal equinox.

I thought I would look up a few songs about Spring....but there are hundreds to choose from. I've just picked out a few.
However, reading todays news, Spring may not have "fully sprung".

"After the sunshine, blue skies and mild weather of the last couple of weeks, winter is about to make an unwelcome return. 
According to the latest forecast, snow, hail and sleet will batter Britain this weekend, bringing an abrupt end to the early spring."

 
Helen Chivers, of the Met Office, said: "It's going to be quite a contrast to the warm and sunny weather of the last two weekends, but it is pretty typical for March."


The wintry weather will be ushered in by Arctic winds from the north, colliding with low pressure over southern Britain. 
Even lowland areas could get some snow on Saturday or Sunday, she said.

It seems to happen every year....the lovely Magnolia comes into bloom only to be nobbled by the frost.
There is a saying among old gardeners....that when the Mulberry starts to bud, all danger of frost has passed.
I wish this was true. 
I have two Mulberry trees and they have been caught out a couple of times in the past.


No comments: