The first plan was to build a traditional carved front, similar to the design on the "Lees Yachts" Organ, but without the large framed surround shown in the picture.
I made a half size drawing to get the 'balance' right between the carvings and the size of the organ. I then set about transfering the drawings to the wood for carving. Well, the carving was a much bigger job than I had anticipated...it took months of work. When all was finished I had to get the wood smooth ready for painting.Well, this sanding, sealing, went on and on, but the wood grain still showed through. I then started using Artists Gesso and this did the trick. However this was also taking a long time and once again I was behind schedule.
I then decided to put this project on the "back-burner" and make a simple front for the organ using mouldings bought from Homebase!
Don't laugh....it actually looks very good.
So another nice spring day, another day for a bit of scroll painting.
No comments:
Post a Comment