Sunday, 29 March 2009

It's Time to "Spring Forward"


Oh I do wish they would leave our clocks alone.


Many Britons suppose that this device is a grand British gift to the civilized world, eagerly accepted by all. In fact, only 30 other countries, out of the 362 listed in the 1964 Admiralty Nautical Almanac, follow our 'folly'. That is a mere 8%.
The rest of the world, if it wants to get up early.... gets up early, without tampering with the clocks.
So should we.
This thing began in 1916 by a Mr Willett, who during the second year of the War, introduced it to conserve fuel and artificial light. It was also applied during the Second War from 1941-45 and in 1947 we had to endure "Double Summer Time"....a move forward of TWO hours.
The British, of all people, should not do this thing.
They should be too proud of Greenwich, and the place of Greenwich Mean Time in astronomy and navigation, to abandon it for six months.
My cats got up at the same time for breakfast as they did yesterday. 
And so did I.

3 comments:

Annette said...

There was a debate a few years ago about whether we should alter the clocks, and how I understand it is this,
If we didn't alter the clocks scotland would be in darkness for nearly 24 hours.(in the winter that is)
Sooo, what happened before they altered the clocks?
P.S. I thought I had left you a comment about the overweight cat.
Our cat, snowdrop, is only 2 but what she eats!She is fed 3 times a day but only little meals, it keeps her going.(she's not overweight by the way) If she had her way she would 24/7 She is a greedy cat but you have to control it.

Annette said...

P.P.S. I got those limmericks by going to google and asking for 'naughty limmericks' You can ask for anything,in the past I have asked for poetry, pictures of space, or anything you want. It is really good.
You can check dates and figures if needed when doing a blog.

Bernard said...

Hi Annette,
You are exactly right. Moving the hands on a clock does not change the amount of sun-light.
What a joke.

Re. Fat cats.
I have two cats, one female and one tom.
Hazel, the female, is very fussy, picks around, leaves this, leaves that. When I do find something that she likes, I go out and buy some more and she turns her nose up.
Wesley on the other hand, eats anything, including Hazel's leftovers (saves wasting it)

Thanks for that bit on Google. I'll try it...a lot of the figures I use tend to be out of date.
Cheers.....Bernard