
WEYMOUTH’S Carnival Queen competition is being scrapped because it is ‘outdated.’ Former carnival queens and town leisure chiefs have reacted with shock after carnival organisers declared the historic contest was past its sell-by date and did not promote equal opportunities.
Former carnival queen, called the organisers ‘killjoys’ and said if they wanted to promote equal opportunities they should run a Carnival King contest.
Last year’s queen Jamie Asquith, 19, said: “The contest is something I grew up with. There’s so much history to it and I don’t think it should be just scrapped just like that. A pretty girl leading the procession is part of the tradition of Weymouth Carnival.”
A spokesman for Weymouth & Portland Borough Council, Brendan Webster said: “It’s a shame to take away what is an enjoyable event which is quite harmless.
He said: “Some of our great traditions are rooted in the past and I think it would be a great shame if they scrapped the Carnival Queen.
Yet another attempt to eradicate a tradition. I think those involved in the Weymouth Carnival Queen competition should set up an alternative event and see which draws the bigger crowd. I know where I would place my bets.
I realise that family photo may not interest people outside the family, but.... here are my brothers and I ignoring the Maypole dancing at the Bournville Village Carnival....I would guess in 1951. I am the eldest on the left.
This Friday I'll give the music a miss and leave you with this.....
Oh, I likes a bit of enjoyment on a Friday,
I never was one to scamp my work an’ that,
I’ve laid the tea, I’ve left the kitchen tidy,
I’ve left a bit of haddock for the cat.

4 comments:
Was last year's queen really a boy? (Jamie Asquith) or is Jamie a girl's name, like Bob or Stevie can be?
When it comes to girl's names and boy's names, I am at a complete loss.
I have checked my source and it does indeed appear to be a female queen named Jamie.
Cheers.....Bernard
I'm loving the family photo, especially thatdown cast chap in the middle!
Hi Amy,
I think he was downcast because he wanted to go and play with the girls!... and not have his photo taken!
Cheers.....Big Brother.
Post a Comment