Thursday, 19 March 2009

"Dear Old Uncle Joe"

Traditionally springtime has gardeners across England itching to get back into their flower beds and rockeries after a long winter of inactivity. 
Doctors have warned that many overdo it and end up needing treatment for a host of injuries including “Gardeners' Back“, “Weeder's Wrist” and “Pruner's Neck“. 
The warning was issued by the British College of Osteopathic Medicine, which said, the garden may not always be the friendliest, or the healthiest place, 
Dr Ian Drysdale, College Principal, said, "Every year our clinics prepare themselves for these gardening related injuries, but the majority of them are totally preventable. 
"People don't associate gardening with danger which is the most dangerous thing of all." 
Gardeners should also ease into it so that they give themselves less trauma. 
"Going straight into vigorous gardening is the same as an elite athlete going straight into competition from a break." 
"At this time of year people have not done a lot of gardening or activity for a long time," he said. There is a sunny day and they throw themselves into it. They don't do it for 20 minutes, they dig the whole allotment in three hours or they mow the whole lawn. 
Well, well….. they do nanny us don’t they?
I cannot imagine anyone getting the mower out and then only cutting a quarter of the lawn.

The song was sung in 1929 by Frank Benson, so I don't expect many to know of it, but did you spot who it was written by?

2 comments:

Annette said...

Ditto,
I have just done that myself.
I went into the garden yesterday, thursday, and attacked the garden. I crawled back in the house after about half an hour.
My back went on me. (I've had a bad back for years so I should have known better)I put my back corset on and rested, though why I didn't put it on in the first place I'll never know, After a 2 hour rest I went back out to the garden and finished mowing it, this time, with my corset on.
Much better.
Next time I'll wear my corset before I go out.

Bernard said...

Gosh, sounds painful.
Just think ...if I had posted this on Tuesday you would have been forewarned and I would have saved you the pain.
I was up a ladder yesterday cutting the top off my conifers.
I didn't want to get arrested, detained for 42 days and have my DNA put on a database!!!!!