Thursday, 9 April 2009

"Carousel of Time"

This is a Victorian hand-turned ride for children and is now owned by Flyte Entertainments based just 'up the road' from me.
It was originally built by Halstead's of Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire in 1898.
The ride is traditionally decorated using gold leaf and cut-glass mirrors are arranged around the centre.
If you remember watching "Challenge Anneka" with Anneka Rice. you may have seen this carousel on one of her programmes.
Talking of Fairgrounds reminds me of a poem by Pam Ayres which I always found amusing. I will give you the first verse.


 "Madbrains Watkins was his name,
He was a proper cave.
He had a little travelling’ fair,
And the roundabout he drove.
He had to wind the handle,
Which he did at such a pace,
That dobs of oil shot off the chain,
And stuck upon your face!"

I am sure the little Victorian Carousel causes no such offense.

No comments: