Tuesday, 21 April 2009

"Touch the Harp Gently"


        Just touch the Harp gently, my pretty Louise,
                And sing me the songs that I love;
They’ll recall the bright days when we play’d in the wood,
              And watch’d  the birds flitting above.
       There was one that you sang, my pretty Louise,
             The words, I remember them well,
       I lov’d it, and when you had finished each verse,
               I kiss’d you and said: ‘Never tell’;
        Just touch the Harp gently, my pretty Louise,
             Just touch the Harp gently, Louise.


Earlier on the blog I wrote a bit about how I had made small Musical Boxes for my great nephews/nieces. These ended up as small Barrel Organs, but the original plan was to make them in the shape of a harp. Thirty odd years ago I had built a folk-harp and the small ones were exact scale models of their larger 'sister'. In the above picture you can see the full-size harp in the background. 
Each model took about four weeks to make, so making eight would have taken eight months !
I made two, and called it a day.  They are made in mahogany with spruce on the front.


The strings were made of nylon 'fishing-line' and the little tuning pegs were tapered 'clock pins'.
Each plays a different tune and are started by the small lever on the side.
They are about 7" tall as you can see shown against a £2 coin.


                 "Just touch the Harp gently, Louise."

Written by Charles Blamphin (1830-1895) a well-known English harpist
who also composed ballads.

4 comments:

Annette said...

They are lovely, well done.

Bernard said...

Annette....you are so kind.
Glad you like them. It is a shame you cannot hear them. Video cameras are just so expensive....especially when you are a pensioner.

Amy said...

wow these are beautiful!
The mini barrel organs take pride of place in at least two of the great nephew and nieces bedrooms i can vouch for that !!!

Bernard said...

Hi Amy,
Just found your comment...I'm afraid I easily overlook the comments on 'older' postings.
I thought you would like them, I'm just sorry I wasn't able to make 8.