Wednesday, 8 April 2009

"Somthing Fishy goin' on"

I can remember, whilst as a student at university in Birmingham, raking around the markets for ‘economy’ food. The fish-market was always a good place to start.
Britain had no dreaded ‘Common Fisheries’ crap, and fish was always good value for money. It was here I can remember buying Sturgeon ….yes Sturgeon. It wasn’t expensive. It was lovely ‘meaty’ fish, nice in a fish-pie.  But where has it gone now?
That must be 40 years ago and I have never seen it on sale since. Probably banned by the eu.
Coley makes a good pie, but so does Ling….now where has that gone?
A couple of years ago I could buy Ling in ASDA but….yes you’ve guessed, they have stopped selling it.
The only remaining fish which I use for a pie, is Pollack…..but even this is now being threatened with a name change.
Marketing gurus are planning to re-name Pollack to boost sales... and call it COLIN. !!!
Colin (pronounced Col-an) is what the French, who actually can't get enough of Britain's Pollack, call the fish once it has been cooked. ( Yes I thought the French may be in there somewhere)
Sainsbury's said: 'We are launching a nationwide campaign to address dwindling cod stocks by encouraging the British public to try Pollack, a tasty, cheaper and more sustainable alternative.'
Sainsbury's environment manager, Alison Austin, said: 'We want to help highlight that there are other species to eat other than cod and haddock, which are just as tasty, and often cheaper.
It won’t stay cheap for long if the demand rises !
But why change it’s name?
Hang on a minute…perhaps that’s why I can’t find… Ling, Coley and Sturgeon.
I bet they have been changed to Sampi or… Saithe or… Molva?

3 comments:

Annette said...

I don't eat fish, I don't like it very much but when I read this I just had to try to find out why you couldn't get sturgeon, ling. The reason is because it is now an endangered species. Well, it has been for years now. As you know cod is so expensive.
The Marine Conservation society has published a book about what fish you can buy and it's called:
"The good fish guide."
I don't know where you can buy it or how much it costs. Perhaps you could find it on the internet. (ask google)

Annette said...

go to google and ask for:
The marine Conservation society 'The good fish guide'
It is £16.75 + posting.
I hope this helps.

Bernard said...

Thanks Annette,
I am amazed that Ling is under threat and fancy Sturgeon....I thought that if you could still buy Caviare, you could still buy Sturgeon.
I'm sorry to hear you don't like fish. It is supposed to be good for you. We are always being told to 'eat more oily fish'.