I know where she be:
She be in yon Wurzel bush
And I be after she."
With my camera of course.
A Blackbird has built a nest right alongside my bay-window, in a climbing rose. I thought if I could secretly get my camera up to the glass without being seen, I could get a close-up of the young.
So I drew the curtains and left a small gap for the camera lens. I put a safety-pin above and below to keep the curtains together. The camera was on a tripod so all I had to do was wait.
I had several goes but the following was the best of the bunch. I didn't use flash in case I scared her off, so I'm afraid it is a bit dim, but it was taken through double-glazing after all.

The male Blackbird was in the meantime round the back by the conservatory.
Now, Wesley is a great believer in eating 'alfresco', so I put his plate out on the patio.
Well, as he always likes to 'leave a bit for manners', this is a nice picking for a hungry father Blackbird.
He would sit on the shed roof waiting for Wesley to finish and wander off.
Then when Wes had made himself 'comfy', only about four feet away, he would hop down and help himself.
I tried on several occasions to get a picture of them both together without disturbing either!!
This is not marvellous but it was the best I could get. Wesley, by the way, is now thirteen and is more interested in food on a plate than having to chase it!!
7 comments:
What a great picture of the birds in the nest. I was going to say you can get these sort of CCTV cameras for birdwatching and they relay live pictures from the nest to your TV screen. However with your skills you needn't spend money on those things.
Thank you Foody,
It was more by luck than skill.
Had it been down the garden in the hedge I would have not got the shot.
Cheers........Bernard
I agree, great photo.
Wow, K-D! That's a spectacular photo of your 'babies' with their mom. Unfortunately our robin's nest was raided by bluebird (we think). First, two eggs just gone and then the remaining two pecked open and eaten.
Hi Deb,
Sorry I missed your comment here until this morning.
I read about your robin....I thought when I first saw the nest, that it was a bit exposed. Here in England we have trouble with magpies stealing eggs unless the nest is well hidden.
Thank you KD for introducing me to your excellent blog sites. Good tip about cat food for blackbirds.
You are very welcome. Please drop in any time....comments always welcome.
I try to vary my 'rambles' as much as possible as different people have different interests. This tracker-bar blog may get 'technical' sometimes, it's for my friends interested in organs.
I started the Organ Grinders Monkey for more light hearted bits & pieces.
Post a Comment