Saturday, 4 April 2009

"More PC PC Nonsense"


Thousands of police officers have been issued with a 140-page 'diversity handbook' containing tips such as 'Don't lean on a disabled person's wheelchair'. 
The ACPO in Scotland spent almost £5,000 on the project, consulting 75 different groups before handing out 7,000 copies of the booklet to all Scottish police forces. 
But frontline officers dismissed the book as patronising and pointless, claiming money was being wasted on stating the obvious in the name of political correctness. 
The book also points out that cheery traditional greetings such as 'hen', 'pet', 'love' and 'my dear' is never the way to address a woman. 
And officers are reminded that a woman who is provocatively dressed and 'paying attention to passing vehicles' may not necessarily be a prostitute. 
One serving police officer, who asked not to be named, said 'In all my years of policing I've never seen a colleague leaning on somebody's wheelchair, this is just ridiculous’ . 
'Do we really need a 140-page booklet to tell us how to spot a prostitute, or not to address a woman as ‘pet’? 
'Give us some credit, for heaven's sake.' 

And not only women.
I don’t want to be addressed as ‘pet’, ‘love’ and ‘my dear’ either!!!

2 comments:

Annette said...

No, I don't suppose you do!!
But seriously, I've never heard a police officer refer to anyone like that.
I'm not surprised they have reacted like that, they are intelligent people and don't need a book to tell them how to behave.

Bernard said...

I agree with you entirely, it is ridiculous to treat them like this.